Monday, June 30, 2008

Shadorma!

It's been a long while since I posted poetry up here. To be honest, I haven't been writing so much lately. Today, though, I've been on a roll! I wrote some birthday-related poems and some others posted here.

I went to a blog that belongs to a Facebook friend and offers prompts for poetry. To be honest, this is the first time I actually visited the site to respond to a writing prompt--no time, really. This prompt was to write a shadorma, a six line poem with the following syllable structure--3/5/3/3/7/5.

Here are my first attempts at this form:

seeking something precious

in-law school
straight as a narrow
whole word stops.
life sitting,
turning rain into sake
is this linear?


i sell insurance to amusement parks

adjusting
hair in silhouette
bloviate
a pigment
in my imagination
i am made at you


what. . . is the opposite of serendipitous

grapefruit girl:
<< i’m older than i
used to be >>
wayjourners:
<< the only link to a leaf—
a root-able time >>


using verbs and pronouns and salad forks

sacre bleu!
her classes are not
strong enough
as theory
everyone is the other
always already

This was fun! I'm thinking of writing some more and making a new book... maybe after I move in a few weeks. I've been searching for whatever packing procrastinations I can find, so I'd better start getting focused! Feel free to write some and share! If you're interested in reading some responses to his prompt, please visit his blog at: http://blog.writersdigest.com/poeticasides/Wednesday+Poetry+Prompts+008.aspx. I'm sure he'd appreciate the hits!

Thanks for reading.

:)
Tracey

No comments: